Monday, October 28, 2013

Spenglish is Diacachimba

Mañana is the 14th day in a row of work in Nicaragua. I can't believe I'll have been here for two full weeks...the time has flown by. My body, voice, and exhaustion level definitely feels otherwise, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I've experienced so many new situations and encountered so many interesting perspectives. I've seen numerous rivers, lakes, volcanoes, farms animals, peoples and towns. Yesterday I got to experience my first "quesillo" and it was amazing. Honesty, what's not to love about a corn tortilla, massive slice of cheese, pickled onions, salt, and creamy goodness?! Google that, it was too obvious and awkward to snap a picture of me devouring it at the small stand. I already drawl enough attention to myself.

I also adventured around Leon and went to the market...which leads to an interesting perspective. I find most people here have a significant other and are married with children at a "young" age. It always takes an explanation to locals as to why I'm not married and don't have children. I have to explain that I still have so much adventure and life to live. I know a family doesn't necessarily hold you back, but I do know it changes things for sure. This adventure has reinforced to me that I'm born to wonder. I feel at home, not having a home. Living out of a backpack is perfect. Going to bed by 9:30/10pm due to pure exhaustion from adventuring all day is my definition of a perfect day. Ok, enough with life lessons...onto more about some of my daily adventures.




So, yesterday I was walking around the market with my amigo Marvin. As we were wondering, he starts laughing and tells me that the ladies just said to one another that "that boy (Marvin) is lucky because his girlfriend is a pretty American." I started laughing and clearly now call Marvin my boyfriend. I need to be clear and explain that Marvin is an extremely awesome Nicaraguan with a wife and a child and I've dubbed him "the man" and a total "badass." He basically puts up with my antics for 12-14 hours a day. We have so much fun making the best of our long work days. He teaches me Spanish and I help him pronounce words in English. We read signs, talk about life, translate music, learn about each others cultures and family...and best of all I've dubbed our language of communication "Spenglish." It's definitely 90% English and 10% Spanish. I tell Marvin daily, that without him I'd be lost, he just laughs.


 

 
Anyways, two more days of work and then I head to CocoLoco for my first days off! Beyond stoked for surfing, relaxation, yoga, yummy food, and good vibes. So much love and happiness to all!

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment